India is very known for its ancient culture, religions and traditions and Yoga has originated from India. Some of the foreigners come to India just to learn and get trained on yoga with a goal of being healthy.
Yoga means the union of mind, body and spirit. The exercise focuses on holding different poses, rhythmic movements for stretching the muscles and breathing deeply. It is believed that kings and great legends have practiced yoga meditation in order to attained mental peace and preach about the spiritual powers of life. Yoga is a kind of exercise which keeps you fit physically and controls your inner emotions as well. When practicing yoga, you will be able to manage your stress and anxiety level through relaxing. The yoga exercise has a variety of styles, forms and intensities.
There are various goals that traditional philosophy of yoga possess which include a body with a free of pain while being strong and flexible, a healthy nervous system and autonomic with a person’s physiological system such as the optimal functional of hormonal and respiration and the digestion track along with a clear, tranquil and calm mind. There are various mental health benefits of yoga when you practiced it.
Mental Health Benefits of Yoga
- Increased Social Adjustment- Since the practice of yoga relaxes you, thus, the relaxation effects in conditioning your body adjusts easily to the environment.
- Improvement of Concentration and Learning Efficiency- Basically, yoga reduces strain on the mind because the mind is kept firm at one place that could result into the increased of mental strength. Through the habitual concentration the work is done effectively and efficiently.
- Increases Self-Actualization, Well-being and Social Skills- When you practiced yoga regularly, it automatically puts your body in a positive healthy state that could resulted into putting your mind in a positive as well and helps you keep your body looking good and feeling good as well. Another benefit of yoga is it provides you with the loop of positive well-being and continual rejuvenation.
- Mental Calmness- You can regain your mental calmness through practicing yoga on a daily basis and aside from the mental calmness; you also get rid of stress and other mental ailments.
- Stress Reduction- Various testimonies and researches have shown that yoga is an effective way of reducing anxiety and stress. When you are practicing yoga, you are required to do it in a quiet place in order for you to do the exercises properly and to focus on each movement. Since the focus of the yoga is the poses, your mind will forget about the busy day which was filled with pressure and replaces your stress with calmness together with concentration. All body conditions that respond to stress such as increased heart rate, blood pressure and respiration can be reduced through the help of yoga.
- Body and Self-Awareness- When you start practicing yoga, it will bring you more self-awareness and can increase the level of comfort to your body. The exercise has been proven to improve your posture and in return it also builds your confidence through the utilization of relaxation techniques. In addition, yoga will help you counter the feelings of depression and helplessness.
- Vitality and Mood Change- The stretching and breathing exercise in yoga could help you meditate deeper and throw away unwanted feelings that you are encountering.
Study shows that mental performance is considered the best way in removing stress and other distracting feelings in the body and you can achieve that through practicing yoga. I hope the information above could help you gain knowledge regarding the mental health benefits of yoga.